History of The Property
Summit Hall Farm, 1 251-acre ridge-top farm in the heart of Gaithersburg was
officially named and patented in 1857 by John T. and Sarah DeSellum. The
topography and 500-foot elevation with its panoramic view has attracted settlers
since colonial times and probably inspired the name. Today the property
encompasses 57 acres of traditional rolling green lawns, reflective ponds,
swimming pool, miniature golf course, and activities building. The historic
resources include a two-story part-log housewhich may date back to the colonial
Logtown era, an 1860s tennant house, a 19th century family cemetery and granary,
and a log smokehouse believed to be the oldest standing structure in Gaithersburg.
The history of the property dates back more than two centuries beginning as
part of a large tobacco plantation in 1750, as the small community known as
Logtown in the 1770s, as the prosperous farm occupied by the Confederate Army
briefly in 1864, and as a model of scientific farming, astronomy, and agronomy in
the 20th century.
The first local owner was Baltus Fulks, a shoemaker, who owned lots in
Logtown in the early 1770s. By 1828, his daughter and son-in-law Catherine and
James DeSellum had purchased Fulks' lots and amassed additional lands to total
242 acres. Their children John T. and Sarah DeSellum inherited the farm in 1847
and experienced the Civil War plundering of Jubal Early's Confederate Troops.
John DeSellum also parceled off property for a schoolhouse, the Ascension
Church, and the Gaithersburg Latitude Observatory. The Fulks / DeSellum
family ownership of Summit Hall continued when Ignatius T. Fulks purchased
the property in 1886. Summit Hall was sold to Frank and Zoe Wilmot in 1936.
During the Wilmot's ownership, their son William created one of the first
commercila turf farms in the United States at Summit Hall. The City of
Gaithersburg purchased this 57-acre historic farm in 1982 and established
Summit Hall Farm Park which is the crown jewel of the City of Gaithersburg park
Top of Page