Pennsylvania Obituaries - 1896 - Michael J. Cassidy


A Well - known P&R Railroader Suddenly Expires

Michael J. Cassidy, A well-known P. & R. engineer, died suddenly from the effects of a complications of diseases at 9:25 p.m., Wednesday, at his residence, 633 North 9th, aged 49 years. Deceased was ailing 9 months, but was never bedfast. On Wednesday he was up and about. He conversed freely with the members of his family, and said that he hoped before long he would be in his usual good health. He retired about 9:15 pm when his wife gently wiped the perspiration from his brow, and then fell into a peaceful sleep. Shortly afterwards he threw his arms above his head. He seemed to be choking. His wife raised his head and asked "What's the matter Mike; speak to me" he looked at her and said: "What have I been doing, mother?" and a moment later expired. His widow is almost prostrated with grief, having lost a daughter by death about 8 months ago. This seemed to prey upon Mr. Cassidy's mind, and is believed to have hastened his death. Deceased was the son of Michael and Bridget Cassidy, and was born and raised at Mt. Carbon. His father was employed between Mt. Carbon and Pottsville for a number of years. Deceased attended school at Pottsville until he was 11 years of age when he secured a position as a firemen on the "Witch." His brother, John, was the engineer. He worked on this engine for some time, when he came to Reading and entered the Reading shops to learn the machinist trade. He was then 15 years of age.

When he was 16, Supt. James Millholland permitted him to run an engine from Reading to Pottsville, which was the height of his ambition. The trip was made without a mishap. Mr. Cassidy finished his trade after which he ran freight engines on the main line for a number of years. He was married in 1875 and went to housekeeping in this city. For some time afterwards he was engaged in trying shop engines and entered the passenger service in 1877. He moved his family to Pottsville for a short time but returned to this city in 1882. He ran one of the fast express trains for 8 years. His last run was one of the accommodations trains between Pottsville and Phila. In order that he could be home with his family at night. Hew worked up to 9 months ago when his condition became serious and he was obliged to retire. Dr. Loose, the attending physician, pronounced death due to a hemorrhage. Besides his widow Maggie H., 2 Daughters, Maggie and Eva, 2 sons, Harry and Louis, 3 brothers, Wreckmaster James Cassidy, Wrecktrain Engineer Patrick Cassidy, and John, Travelling car agent of the Jersey Central railroad, and a sister Sarah, wife of Patrick Moss, of Phila., survive. Deceased was a member of the Holy Cross society, St. Joseph's Catholic church and the P. & R. Relief association. Few engineers were better know than the deceased.

Source:Reading Eagle, Thursday October 8th, 1896

Submitted by: Tracy Gillett


Related Links to Outside Resources: