Vermont Obituaries - Burlington Free Press - March 12, 1914


Mrs. Frances M. Macumber.

Mrs. Frances M. Macumber died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Don A. Stone, 500 Maple street, Saturday morning, following an illness with bronchitis.   She was born in Westford, February 28, 1828, making her 86 years and seven days old at the time or her death.   Her father and mother were Thompson Beach and Betsey Wales Beach.   Her grandfather, Silas Beach, was one of the first settlers of Westford and was the first adult person buried there.   He came to Westford with a large family of children.   In this way Mrs. Macomber reached back to the generation after the first generation of settlers.   During most of her life Mrs. Macomber was identified with Westford.   July 1, 1849, she was married to James Hervey Macomber, whose death occurred in 1888.   Since about 1890, Mrs. Macomber had lived with her children, principally with Mrs. Don A. Stone.   Mrs. Macomber is survived by three children living in Burlington, Mrs. Marion M. Rice, Mrs. Don A. Stone and Judge J. H. Macomber.   The only other child was Mrs. George A. Rice, who died three months ago in Westford.   She also leaves eight grandchildren and five Great-grandchildren.

Mrs. Macomber was a sister of the late Ferdinand and Socrates Beach, for many years identified with this city.   She was almost a lifelong member of tho Congregational Church in Westford, having become a member in early life.   In the last years she suffered the affliction of blindness, which she endured with wonderful patience.   To the very last she took a lively and kindly interest in all about her.

The funeral was held at 9:30 Tuesday morning at 300 Maple street, with burial at two o'clock that afternoon at Westford.

Mrs. John S. Wright.

Mrs. John S. Wright died Tuesday morning at six o'clock at her home at 4 Loomis street, following a six days' Illness with pneumonia.

Mrs. Wright was born in Waddington, N. Y. October 12, ?1850?, the daughter of Sarah Stoddard and John Spofford Chipman.   She was graduated from Houghton Seminary at Clinton, N. Y.   In 1872 she was married to John Seeley Wright of Waddington.   They came to Burlington to live 26 years ago.   Mr. Wright's death occurred last October at Waddington, where the family had been spending the summer and autumn.

Three daughters and two sons survive Mrs. Wright.   The daughters are: Mrs. Sally Wright Farrar. Harriet Richards Wright and Alice Redington Wright, all of Burlington; and the sons, John Stratton Wright, who has been for several years at Antwerp, Belgium, and Fred Bonar Wright of New York city.   She is also survived by one sister, Mrs. A. B. Shepard of Waddington, N. Y., and a grandson, John Chipman Farrar of this city.

Mrs. Wright was a woman of admirable character, whose sterling virtues of heart and mind made her a noble mother.   She bore the loss of her husband with a beautiful spirit of resignation.   The Christian spirit of the mother found reflection in a large and happy family circle.

The funeral services will be held this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at the parish house of the First Church.   The remains will be placed in the vault at Lake View cemetery, to await burial later in the family lot at Waddington, N. Y.

Mrs. Emma P. Whitney.

Mrs. Emma P. Whitney died Sunday morning at 5.30 o'clock at her home at 98 Pearl street, of old age and complications.   She was 72 years old and had been ill for two years and a half, and before that had been in poor health.

Mrs. Whitney wns a member of the well known Payn family.   She was born at Shelburne August 15, 1841, the daughter of S. Webster Payn and Almira Perkins.   The family moved to this city in 1869 and on May 26, 1874, she was married to William E. Whitney.   The family has always made its home where Mrs. Whitney died Sunday.   Mr. Whitney's death occurred September 21, 1905.   A daughter, Mrs. Eda Whitney Safford, survives and one grandson, Whitney Safford.

Mrs. Whitney was a member of the Methodist Church and of the Opportunity Circle of the King's Daughters.   The funeral services was held at her late home Wednesday morning at 10:30 o'clock nnd the body was placed in the vault at Lake View cemetery, to await burial in the family lot at Shelburne in the spring.   The Rev. C. V. Grismer conducted the services.

Mrs. Isabelle S. Foss.

Mrs. Isabelle S. Foss died Sunday morning at 5:30 o'clock at the home of her daughter, Mrs. D. D. Davis of 12 South Union street, after a six days' illness with pneumonia.   The funeral was held Tuesday morning at ten o'clock at the house and the body was taken to Wells River, the former home of the deceased, where the burial was made by the side of her late husband, W. G. Foss and an adopted daughter.

Mrs, Foss was born at St. Albans, Me.   She was 80 years old last fall.   Most of her life was spent at Wells River and upon the death of her husband she came to Burlington to live with her daughter, their only child.

She is also survived by two sisters and two brothers living in Maine, and by a grandson by an adopted daughter, Ralph Williams of this city.   The funeral services were conducted by the Rev. R. C. Flagg, her former pastor at Wells River.

E. Laramie.

E. Laramie died at his home on St. Paul street Thursday morning, following an eight months' illness with a cancer.   He was 51 years of age.   Besides his wife, Mr. Laramie is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Frank Hupper of ?Billerica?, Mass., Miss Olive Laramie of Springfield, Mass., and Mrs. Catherine Kendall of this city, and by one son, George, of Rochester, N. Y.   Five sisters, Mrs. John Fagga and Mrs. L. E. Hathaway of this city, Mrs. Frank Bombar of Barre, Mrs. Pembroke Jewtrew of Ausable Forks, N. Y., and Mrs, Kitmare of Milwaukee, Wis., and two brothers, T. Fred of Chicago and Louis of Calgary, Alberta, also survive him.

The funeral was held at St. Joseph's Church Saturday morning, with burial in Mt. Calvary cemetery.

Mrs. Frank Potvin.

Mrs. Frank Potvin died at the Fanny Allen hospital Tuesday afternoon at about four o'clock from blood poisoning.   She had been ill for eight weeks and was taken to the hospital about three weeks ago.   Mrs, Potvin was 24 years of age.   Besides her husband, Mrs. Potvin is survived by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Antoine Kingville of Douglass, N. Y., by five brothers, Antoine Kingville, Jr., of Douglass, N. Y. Tuffield Kingville of Shelburne and Andrew, David and Albert of this city and by six sisters, Mrs. George Pouchard, Mrs. Joseph Marrier, Mrs. Joseph Marrier, Mrs, Thomas Lesperence and Mrs. Arthur Marrier of this city and Mrs. Asweld Mellett of Hubbardton.

Mrs. Potvln was born in Douglass, N. Y., coming to this city when a young girl and had since lived here.   The funeral will be held this morning at eight o'clock at St Joseph's Church and the interment will be in Mt. Calvary cemetery.

Miss Mary E. Sheeran.

Miss Mary E. Sheeran died very suddenly Thursday about six o'clock, succumbing to heart trouble while returning from church.   She collapsed on the steps of the creamery conducted by William Suckstorff at 6l North Winooskl avenue, opposite the home of Mrs. Sarsh I. Pense, where Miss Sheeran lived.   Physicians were summoned and attended her.   Miss Sheeran who was a nurse, had suffered with heart trouble for some time.

The body was taken to the home of her sister, Mrs. H. S. Morgan of 16 Brookes avenue.   She is also survived by another sister, Miss Jennie Sheeran, with whom she lived at 64 North Winooski avenue.

The funeral was held at the St. Mary's Cathedral Saturday morning, with burial in St. Joseph's cemetery.

Mrs. Peter Pelland.

Mrs. Peter Pelland, who died Wednesday, March 4 at the Fanny Allen hospital, had been a sufferer for 14 years and for the past three months had been afflicted with abscesses in the head.   She was born in Michigan December 26, 1863, and was married to Peter Pelland in 1880.   Besides her husband she is survived by five daughters and two sons, also by two sisters and four brothers.   Funeral services were held Friday morning at nine o'clock at St. Joseph's Church, the Rt. Rev. J. M. Cloarec officiating.   The bearers were: Frank Russell, Daniel Russell, Edward Russell, Louis Martin, William Pelland and Arthur Pelland.   The Rev. J. A. Lacouture officiated at the grave in Mt. Calvary cemetery.

Alfred Odett.

Alfred Odett died at about nine o'clock Tuesday morning at the home of his sister, Mrs. Octave Lapoint, at ?193? North avenue.   Mr. Odett had been a sufferer with stomach trouble for the past 12 years, and 10 years ago underwent an operation but gradually failed.   For the past five years he had not been out of the house.   He was in his 42nd year.   Besides his sister, Mr. Odett is survived by one brother, W. J, Odett of Lewiston, Me.   He was born and had always lived in this city.

The funeral will be held this morning at St. Joseph's Church, with burial in Mt. Calvary cemetery.

Mrs. E. B. Rice.

Mrs. E. B. Rice died Friday morning at her home at Malletts Bay, following a 10 days' illness with pneumonia.   She was 46 years of age.   Besides her husband, Mrs. Rice is survived by one daughter, Ardelle, and one son, Herman; by three sisters, Mrs. H. S. Conant of this city, Mrs. G. W. Green and Miss Bertha Kenyon of Richmond; and by two brothers, Asa Kenyon and Frederick Kenyon of Richmond.   The funeral was held at her late home at Malletts Bay and the interment was made in Richmond on Monday.

Theophilus Fountain.

News was received in Burlington Thursday, of the death of Theophilus Fountain in Schenectady, N. Y., Wednesday after an illness of three years with tuberculosis.   Mr. Fountain was a resident of this city 12 years ago, moving to Montpelier and from there to Schenectady.   He is survived by his wife, two daughters, Marie Grady and Eva Fountain, and two sons, Edward and Asa.   The funeral was held in Schenectady Saturday morning.

Dixon Perry.

Dixon Perry, the 12 years old son of Charles Perry of Waterbury, died at the Mary Fletcher hospital yesterday morning, following an operation for appendicitis.


Welch, W. Va., March 10. - R. L. Taylor, a deputy sheriff, is dead, A. D. Beavers, a former United States deputy marshal, is dying and D. W. Beavers, a deputy sheriff and T. E. Hickey, are seriously wounded as a result of a pistol battle on a Norfolk & Western train today between ?laeger and Berwind, W. Va.

It is said that the shooting followed a quarrel between Taylor and the Beaver brothers.   Taylor was shot five times and instantly killed.   A. D. Beavers received a bullet in the abdomen; his brother was shot through the leg, and Hickey, who had no part in the fight, received a thigh wound.

Bob Evans, one of the party, was arrested and lodged in jail here.

All the parties to the battle are prominent and well known as officials in the coal fields.   Taylor was deputy sheriff of McDowell county.

The car in which tho shooting occurred was crowded with passengers but the duelists shot true to their aim generally, only one non-combatant being hurt.


WHITNEY - Entered into rest Sunday morning, Mrs. Emma Payn Whitney.

WRIGHT - At her home, 4 Loomis street, Tuesday morning, Mrs. John S. Wright.

BYINGTON - At his home in Charlotte, Sunday morning, A. A. Byington, in his 84th year.

MACOMBER - In this city March 7, Mrs. Frances M Macomber, aged 86 years and seven months.

Source = The Burlington Free Press and Times; Thursday, March 12, 1914, Page 4 Columns 4, 5 and 6